- buzzard a large bird of prey, similar to a vulture, with a hooked beak and long, sharp claws clatter to bang together noisily collapse to fall down suddenly from weakness conch the spiral-shaped shell of a marine animal
- dune a sand hill made by the wind near the ocean or a large lake or in a desert
- eerie strange and frightening
- feisty lively or frisky fetch to go after and bring back something or somebody
- flax a plant with blue flowers and long leaves that produces oil and fiber
- gleams shines
- gully a long, narrow ravine or ditch
- hearthstone stone flooring laid in front of a fireplace
- hitch to join something to a vehicle
- squint to nearly close one’s eyes in order to see better
Sarah, Plain and Tall is a children's book written by Patricia MacLachlan, and the winner of the 1986 Newbery Medal, the 1986 Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction and the 1986 Golden Kite Award. A movie is created with the same name, Sarah, Plain and Tall (1991)
Words to Know
To kill a Mockingbird is an Academy Award-Winning film, and book. To kill a Mockingbird, it was first published in 1960 and won an award in just one year!
This novel will never be forgotten in my head. It is a passive Southern Town where an issue happened. The accusation of a black man raping a white girl. This time-traveling book twists and turns through interesting decisions and weird yet funny actions of a character.
This book is compassionate, dramatic, and deeply moving. This book goes into the foundation of human behavior - from innocence to hatred to love, this is a definite must-read. This intriguing book title means to destroy innocence and that is what it's all about.
Guideline for book reading